Public Transportation and Paratransit Services

People with epilepsy may not be able to drive or may have restricted licenses, making it difficult getting to necessary places. Not driving may limit their ability to work, to get out in the community, or to get to appointments. Public transportation may help; however, it is not always accessible or appropriate. For people with frequent seizures, it may be dangerous to wait for regular bus services at busy intersections where they may encounter danger during a seizure.

Paratransit services are transportation services for people who cannot use the regular public transportation bus services. These services may pick people up at their homes or at specific locations. Paratransit services are available for people who meet one of the following requirements:

  1. You cannot get on, ride on, or get off a regular bus because of your disability even when the bus is accessible (that is, when it has a mechanical lift for a wheelchair or has some other adjustment for disability); or
  2. You have a disability and can't use the regular bus system; or
  3. Your impairment prevents you from traveling to or from a bus stop.

To find out about paratransit services, call the county transit authority where you live. When applying, people should specifically describe their disability or impairment in detail and explain why their condition prevents them from using the regular bus system. Notes from doctors may be helpful to support the information provided in the application.

Americans with Disabilities Act

Title III of the American's with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits public accommodations, such as the public transportation system, from discriminating against persons with disabilities. Under the ADA, a qualified person with a disability has the right to request a reasonable accommodation with the regular bus services. This may consist of the bus providing a seat belt for someone with frequent seizures so they do not injure themselves during a seizure. If regular bus services do not meet individual needs, paratransit services may be available. If you are denied a reasonable accommodation or paratransit services, you may file an ADA complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice.

Complaints should be sent to:
Coordination and Review Section, Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66118
Washington, D.C. 20035-6118