Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)
What is CDSMP?
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) was developed by a team of researchers at Stanford University. It’s a self-management education workshop for people with a variety of chronic health conditions, such as epilepsy. It aims to build participants’ confidence in managing their health and keep them active and engaged in their life.
Participants attend a 2 1⁄2-hour interactive workshop once a week for 6 weeks to learn problem-solving, decision-making, and other techniques for managing problems common to people with chronic diseases. In a typical workshop, participants set a realistic goal for the upcoming week and develop an action plan for meeting that goal. They report on their progress at the following workshop and solicit feedback from the group to help address any challenges.
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Falls prevention
- Healthy eating
- Better breathing techniques
- Appropriate use of medication
- Working more effectively with healthcare providers
- Communicating with friends and family
- Communicating with oneself
- Communicating with the healthcare system
- Action-planning, problem-solving, decision-making
How can I find a CDSMP program near me?
- Once on the Epilepsy & Seizures 24/7 Helpline Resources webpage, scroll down to the "Keyword Search” box in the bottom right.
- Enter the name of the program you are interested in:
- PACES in Epilepsy
- Project UPLIFT
- Optional: Enter your state in "Location"
- Click Search to find where the program is offered
This program is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a financial assistance award totaling 100% funded by CDC/HHS. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement by, CDC/HHS, or the U.S. Government.
Epilepsy centers provide you with a team of specialists to help you diagnose your epilepsy and explore treatment options.
Find in-depth information on anti-seizure medications so you know what to ask your doctor.
Epilepsy and Seizures 24/7 Helpline
Call our Epilepsy and Seizures 24/7 Helpline and talk with an epilepsy information specialist or submit a question online.
Tools & Resources
Get information, tips, and more to help you manage your epilepsy.