INFORMATION * EMPOWERMENT * HOPE * COMMUNITY
A Unique One-Day Conference Dedicated to People Living with Seizures, Their Loved Ones and Epilepsy Advocates
Saturday, May 16, 2015
Where: Turnberry Isle Miami, 19999 West Country Club Drive, Aventura, FL
Time: Registration: 8:00 to 8:30 am
Sessions, Breaks and Lunch (included): 8:30 - 4:30 pm
Community Social: 4:30 to 5:00 pm
Goals of Epilepsy Pipeline Community Conference
- Information: Share challenges of living with epilepsy and learn about new approaches and therapies.
- Empowerment: Be an active member of your care team and work toward no seizures!
- Hope: Understand the importance of research and how you can help.
- Community: Join friends, families, and advocates for a day of learning, support, and networking.
- Celebrate: Epilepsy Foundation Debut of "Last Pyramid" - an award-winning documentary by the Foundation and Executive Producer Greg Grunberg!
Leading Epilepsy Experts and Families Will Discuss Updates on the Latest Topics Including:
- The Rare Epilepsies
- New Seizure Medications, Rescue Therapies, Medical Marijuana
- When Seizures Don't Respond to Medicines, New Surgical Approaches and Devices
- The Epilepsy Pipeline and How You Can Help
- Thinking, Behavior, and Mood
- Using Technology for Epilepsy Self-Management
- Family and Relationships
Registration and Cost
- Registration: Is required to attend due to the popularity of this important conference.
- Cost: Free!
- Register Today!
8:30-8:40 Welcome and Overview
- Patty Osborne Shafer
- Jonathan C. Anderson, Chair, Epilepsy Foundation of Florida
8:40-9:10 Point of View - Diversity of Epilepsy
- Philip Gattone, President, Epilepsy Foundation
- Daniel Fisher
- Marisol Valdes
9:10-9:30 Challenges of Epilepsy
- Steven C. Schachter
9:30-9:50 The Rare Epilepsies - what are they and why are they important?
- Jacqueline French
9:50-10:05 The Epilepsy Pipeline 2014
- Warren Lammert, Chair, Epilepsy Foundation
10:05-10:20 - BREAK
10:20-10:50 Chronic Seizure Medications and Updates on Generics
Michael D. Privitera
10:50-11:10 Rescue Therapies
- Nancy Santilli
11:10-11:30 Medical Marijuana (Cannabis)
- Ian Miller
11:30-12:00 Panel QA
- Moderator: Janice Buelow
Panelists: Michael Privitera, Nancy Santilli, Ian Miller, Jacel Delgadillo, Marisol Valdes
12:00-12:15 Epilepsy.com and the Role of Social Media
- Kenneth Lowenberg
12:15-1:15 LUNCH - Network tables, Exhibits
Track 1 - New approaches to treating uncontrolled epilepsy
1:15 – 1:35 Surgical Treatment in Epilepsy: The Present
- Badih Adada
1:35--2:05 Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery – Six New Things
- Michael M. Duchowny
2:05-2:25 Devices for Epilepsy- What's New?
- Patricia Osborne Shafer
2:25-2:30 A Personal Perspective
- Christopher Flaig
Track 2 - Living with epilepsy
1:15-1:40 Thinking, behavior and mood
- Andres M. Kanner
1:40-2:05 Self-Management and Safety
- Patricia Dean
2:05-2:30 Family and relationships - it's more than just the seizures
- Juanita Edwards
- Jon Scheinman
2:30-3:00 Combined Panel Q and A
Moderator: Andres M. Kanner, MD
Panelists: Badih Adada, Michael Duchowny, Patricia O. Shafer, Luis Fong, Christopher Flaig
3:00-3:15 - BREAK
3:15-3:30 Point of View
- Steven C. Schachter
- Patricia Barnes
3:30-4:00 Epilepsy Foundation Debut of "Last Pyramid", an award-winning documentary by the Foundation and Executive Producer Greg Grunberg!
This Film Was Made Possible With A Grant Provided By UCB.
4:00-4:20 Panel Discussion
Moderator: Samantha Macher
Panelists: Phil Gattone, David Schachter, Trish Barnes, Karen Basha Egozi, Patty Fritz
4:20-4:30 Wrap up
4:30-5:00 - Community Networking and Social Reception
With Thanks to Our Sponsors
Top sponsor: $15,000
Complementary (Supports the Epilepsy Foundation though DIY Programs)
Invalid Scald ID.