The Epilepsy Foundation’s SUDEP Institute works to prevent Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) and support people confronting the fear and loss caused SUDEP. Learn more about SUDEP.
What does the SUDEP Institute do?
- Carries out SUDEP Education and Awareness programs for people touched by epilepsy and medical professionals.
- Drives and supports research into the causes of and ways to prevent SUDEP.
- Offers a support network providing counseling, community, and resources for individuals and families affected by SUDEP.
- Works together with many epilepsy organizations to find the answers to SUDEP and help families with epilepsy.
Why did you create the SUDEP Institute?
- SUDEP is the leading cause of death in people with uncontrolled epilepsy.
- Everyone knows about the dangers of fire and SIDS. Each year SUDEP kills more Americans than either of these. Yet, many people with epilepsy and their families have never heard of it.
- While people with epilepsy say they want information on SUDEP, many doctors rarely talk about it.
- We believe by building awareness and working together we can prevent SUDEP.
Who can benefit from your programs?
- Individuals and families living with epilepsy
- Families whose loved one has died due to epilepsy
- Epilepsy specialists, neurologists, primary care physicians and nurses
- Coroners, medical examiners and first responders
How do I access these programs?
- Learn more about SUDEP.
- Get SUDEP Brochures and Materials.
- Download SUDEP presentations and webinars.
- Learn how to Talk about SUDEP.
- Learn about our Suport for Bereaved Families.
Who is involved with the SUDEP Institute?
The Epilepsy Foundation SUDEP Institute unites leading epilepsy organizations including American Epilepsy Society, CDC, CURE, Danny Did Foundation, NIH/NINDS, SUDEP Aware, and epilepsy experts.
Executive Leadership Team
President and CEO, Epilepsy Foundation
Board Member, Epilepsy Foundation
Co-Founder, Epilepsy Therapy Project
CEO, Freewave Technologies
A father who lost his son to SUDEP
Orrin Devinsky, MD
Professor of Neurology, NYU School of Medicine
Director, NYU Epilepsy Center & North American SUDEP Registry
Director, Epilepsy Foundation SUDEP Institute
Board of Overseers
Greg Davis, MD MSPH
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Forensic Pathology
President, National Association of Medical Examiners
Elizabeth Donner, MD, FRCPC
SickKids, Division of Neurology
Co-founder, SUDEP Aware
Gardiner Lapham, RN, MPH
Co-Chair, Partners Against Mortality in Epilepsy
A mother who lost her son to SUDEP
Director, Epilepsy Therapy Project
Executive Director, Epilepsy Foundation Colorado
Elson So, MD
Mayo Clinic, College of Medicine
President, American Epilepsy Society
Executive Director, Danny Did Foundation
Vicky Whittemore, PhD (NINDS Liaison)
Program Director, Channels, Synapses and Circuits Cluster, NINDS/NIH
April 22, 2014