Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

3 hour Tonic Clonic Seizure, 31/2 year old son.

Wed, 01/20/2016 - 04:33

Hi everyone, 

This is my first post and I am desperate to hear from anyone else who has experienced an extended Tonic Clonic Seizure. 

3 months ago my son returned from a trip away with his grandparents, (it was a camping trip, very warm with lots of activity).

Within an hour of his return he had (what I know now) to be a focal seizure, it lasted for over 2 hours. We went straight to the hospital and eventually when he came around we took a collective sigh of releif. 

HOWEVER, 3 hours later, while still in hospital for observation (thank god for the Australian hospital system) my son had a second seizure, this time it was tonic clonic and lasted for over 3 hours and no medication worked to subdue it.

It has not happened again (touch wood) however the EEG showed epilpsy. 

We are still awaiting the MRI results. 

I have searched Google for anyone else who may have had a similar experience and I haven't been able to find anyone. Even if you havent had an experience like this, any advice would be great. 

I only have 1 child and this has been a very scary and emotional experience for us all. 

Thanks 

Cheree :)

Comments

Welcome

Submitted by just_joe on Wed, 2016-01-20 - 12:05
Welcome I love parents that want their child to be safe and sound. I am not the parent of a child with epilepsy. I am the one with epilepsy. I was diagnosed before that came out with the types of epilepsy and types of seizures. I know what focal seizures are and I know what tonic clonic seizures are. Focal seizures start in one area of the brain. Mine start with my right hand. If it doesn't start generalizing I look like I am daydreaming. If it generalizes is can go into several different types of seizures. Mine went into a convulsion back in the late 60's. Tonic clonic seizures would be grand mal seizures which I had back then too. If your child go help with his seizures that's great. Just listen to the neurologist and follow his instructions. If meds are prescribed 2 times a day those times need to be 12 hours apart unless otherwise instructed. Always ask questions. This site can help you learn a lot. Now extended seizures? As the neurologist if the seizure was just 1 seizure or if it could have been status epilepticus? There is a difference. One seizure versus back to back seizures. I was in status epilepticus which is back to back seizures (convulsive)Absence seizures are basically petite mal. People in them look like they are daydreaming. There are other seizures that also look like absence seizures (focal seizures) I know I had them both and still do. In your post you said the they told you that she would most likely grow out of them. Some people do but others don't. As for being an adult and still having seizures yes I still have them. Mine are more focal but I still have them. I took the medication she is taking and it is good. Any and all medications can cause emotional changes. I currently take keppra but have had no problems with it. Side effects generally go away after 3-4 weeks while the body gets used to the medication. Some people taking keppra called is KeppRAGE because of the side effect. How do I cope with it? I deal with it and use common sense. The seizures to me are little laps of time. Losing a few seconds now and then is minimal compared to the amount of time I have in this world. What is 10-14 seconds compared to 168 hours in a week? I have searched Google for anyone else who may have had a similar experience << there have been posts about this issue in here also in friends and family. Hospitals have meds that can help stop status epilepticus (back to back seizures) but they can only give a certain amount and if they used it during the first seizure then they might not have been able to give him more. Too much medication is just as bad as to little. I know been there done that. I went into status starting at about 10pm I got to the hospital about 6am. I was having 40 convulsive seizures an hour. I came to 3 days later. So I know what it is like. I also know what my mother went thru. The EEG is a brain wave test showing the electrical output coming from the brain. The doctors saw abnormalities ( seizure activity aka spikes or waves) They know where in the brain it came from. They will be able to look closer that that area of your child's brain to see if anything is different in that area. For me they found scared brain tissue. Anything that is not normal may cause a electrical impulse to hit wrong in the brain. I hope this helps and he gets his seizures under control Joe

Focal seizures can generalize

Submitted by just_joe on Thu, 2016-01-21 - 13:39
Focal seizures can generalize and become convulsive. Been there done that. The focal point is my right hand. If it generalizes my hand will rise up. Once it hits shoulder level I go down in a seizure that looks like a grand mal. The difference is in that focal seizure I see hear and understand that is happening.

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.