Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

dilantin 300 mg with topamax 200 mg daily

Wed, 04/20/2016 - 14:16
Im 23 years old and have been on 200 mg of topamax for 7 months for temporal lobe seizures with no results. Ive met with a surgeon because the seizures come from a medium size cavernous angioma in my left temporal lobe who recommends to try more medicne until he would help me. My neurologist is now recomending i start taking 300 mg of dilantin on top of the 200 mg of topamax daily. Any recommendations? Ive been having auras and seizures at least once a week.

Comments

Any recommendations?  <<< YES

Submitted by just_joe on Thu, 2016-04-21 - 11:29
Any recommendations?  <<< YES follow the neurologists and surgeon's commendations.  They went through college and learned and have the knowledge to help people. When my doctors tell me something I listen. The first person I question is them.  Not just my neurologist but my PC and cardiologist too. You might want to know that many people in here are taking more then one medication.At one time I was taking 3 different meds a day. We changed and it went down to 1 which did help. That 1 needed to be raised but since I am on the highest dosage we couldn't so we added another med and the combination has reduced the number of seizures from 2 a week to one every 8-14 days. The combination also shortened the time in those seizures from 5-8 minutes to a few seconds. The recovery time changed from 15-45 minutes to a few seconds. So yes adding medications can and has helped control seizures.Joe

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.