Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Vns model 106 problems.

Tue, 06/14/2016 - 13:34
I was wondering if anyone had problems with their Vns malfunctioning after surgery? I had the new 106 model implant in March 2016. The 106 was a replacement for the old battery which was no longer working. Last week I had a grand mal seizure. My spouse swiped the magnet to stop the seizure. The vns did not Respond. . I am aware the vns will not stop all grand mal seizures. My old vns stopped all my prior grand mal seizures and side effects greatly reduced. i could not understand why the current grand mal seizure was not stopped by new vns. When I woke up next morning decided to test my vns. I swiped the magnet and no response. Tested later that day and barely feel vns. The next day tested again and the vns has a delay before responding. I test the vns 2 times a day currently. Sometimes I get a strong normal response and others a delay before responding. My old vns made me feel better physically and mentally. Also the old vns help reduce the number of daily seizures which are now back. I had such high hopes for the new one. My doctor and I talked about turning on the auto stimulation mode at next appt. maybe it is just me and the new model vns isn't going to help my seizure like old. Hope everyone has a great day.

Comments

Reader's Digest article:

Submitted by dmf1958 on Sun, 2017-04-02 - 12:41
Reader's Digest article: Medical Devices That Can Kill is a must read for anyone either with the device or thinking about surgery. Yes, that's me in the articlecenter4research.org/nrc-in-the-news/news-analysis.../medical-devices-that-can-kill/

its probably not the model.

Submitted by meghanjenkins88 on Fri, 2017-04-14 - 10:58
its probably not the model. If anything, the model will have been updated from technology advances, and works more sufficiently than your previous model. I'm no doctor at all, in fact a patient, and when I had my new battery in after 9 years, it took time, to adjust to the new one. It's more likley the stimualtion needs adjusting, or malfunction of the model (which sometimes happens) needs checking....it just  sounds like a good chat and a few appts with your doctor, will do the trick...The model is a newer one, so its probably just needs tweeking, or checking that its actually working efficiently, and not malfunctioning  Either way, have a lvoely day, and try not to worry much about it and just follow your doctors advice! :)  Like I said, the same thing happened to me, and it took me time to adjust. But everyone is different!! I hope its not malfunctioning, and it ust needs time - either way, im sure youll be absolutely fine!!! You sound like a strong person anyhow!! Good luck!!! :D xx  

haha just realised i repeated

Submitted by meghanjenkins88 on Fri, 2017-04-14 - 10:59
haha just realised i repeated myself a thousand times in that message!! (Sorry!)

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.