Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

My 19 almost 20 year old had his first seizure 10/06/17

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 07:54
I am beyond sad that my son is going through this. We got the call from his girlfriend he was living with at the time that he was having a seizure we found out he had also had 6 beers her dad have given him. Ct scan revealed he has a closed head injury. Not sure if the head injury occurred before or after the seizure. He has never had a seizure in his life before. He seems to be having seizures every 32 to 36 hours. He was put on anti seizure meds and today 10/10/17 he had another seizure at 6:20 this morning. It was a milder one and it lasted about 1 minute. I'm keeping a log on seizure activity. Working on getting him into seeing a neurologist. I will mention he use to drink energy drinks like crazy. ER doctor said he can no longer drink those. I'm keeping him off video games too and it sucks as he really enjoyed them. I'm new to this so any suggestions or information would be grateful.

Comments

photosensitivity is not a

Submitted by Amy Jo on Tue, 2017-10-10 - 15:13
photosensitivity is not a super common issue, only a small percentage of people with epilepsy have that. so while you may personally not like video games, it's probably not an issue other than if it contributes to not taking care of himself or getting regular sleep. he is an adult, he's going to have you as a backup but remember that he is the driver of his health care at this age, not you.

My son has been havung

Submitted by Reynolds on Tue, 2017-10-10 - 18:20
My son has been havung seizures for about 5 years now. He still plays video games but only basketball. They said that anything too flashy might trigger one. Also riding in a car and the sun flashing through the trees make him have one. He wears sunglasses and puts the visor down. Some people have a "feeling" before one comes on but my son doesnt. We had a cat that could tell he was fixing to have one but we dont have her anymore. We have "seizure" proofed our home as best as we could. No pointy tables..rugs on hardwood floors where he is most of the time...make sure cabinets doors and drawers are closed at all times..his second seizure he had he hit his head and face on dresser and drawer and busted his head open and ripped his nose half off...no glass plates cups or bowls..no sharp utensils....he will get real quiet and seem dazed...when he does that we make him sit down.....dont not put anything in mouth while having one..make sure he is on side so he would get choked...hand or pillow under head so he wont bumo head on floor...talk quietly when coming out of one...do not try to hold him still for he might freak out not knowing whats going on...they are hard to move while having on so as long as no danger leave where he is til he wakes up...no pint in calling ambulance unless he is badly injured or not breathing or waking up...would call when he would have one and there isnt much to do..so i asked and they said only of injured or no breathing or not waking up...my son does good on gis Keppra but will have seizures if he doesnt take it...He has three types of seizures..small ones where he just jerks and drops his phone or cup...medium one he kinda just sinks to floor...big ones he has no control and falls...violently shakes and thrashes around..he has bitten his tongue several times...vomits most of the time after one...sweats and get really hot...sleeps alot after a big one....it can be scary but after a few you get "used" to them ...i would freak out but now i just do what i got to do to help him get through them...

I've had epelepsy since I was

Submitted by David O'DELL on Wed, 2017-10-11 - 04:20
I've had epelepsy since I was 15 years old. I'm 55 married with 2  grown kids now. I played video games when the kids were small. I have no photosensitivity were my seizures are concerned . I will say the headaches I would experience after playing a video game would last a day or 2 and every now and then would result with a seizure. Video  games stimulate the brain which is not good for anyone with epilepsy. I no longer play video games , no longer have 2 day headaches  and seizures are controlled. Your doing a great job. As you and your son work with the neurologist to tweak his meds things will eventually even out. Hang in there .

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.