Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

504 Plan Absence Epilepsy

Wed, 03/13/2019 - 14:40
Hello, We are working w/ my daughters school on a 504 plan for her absence seizures. Pretty much her teacher has never notice them at school (my daughter is not one that requires a lot of attention from the teacher) and I know they have to be happening at school. Can anyone who has a 504 plan give me an idea of what you have on yours? I actually found a great one just doing a google search but I would like to hear from others who actually have one.

Comments

Our neurology group puts

Submitted by Amy Jo on Thu, 2019-03-14 - 10:18
Our neurology group puts together some classic info for a health plan and your doc should have some info on what matters for your child's situation - info that covers the learning impacts and emergency instructions. For regular absence, they are likely to be controlled by meds so after figuring out areas she might have missed instruction on and get renewed instruction, it might become a non issue for the most part. If they aren't controlled, the plan should include that checks for missed instruction and reteaching until she does have material down. We include instructions for what to do in case of an emergency (a real emergency has never happened, staff has freaked out and forgotten how to judge an emergency requiring me to have them review the plan). We also include info about medication side effects that she sometimes has had so they know it will pass. You might also include that she needs to be in the line of sight of the teacher or how close she should be placed. Our child's seizures are not easily noticed by teachers (think 5  years ago was the last time staff observed a prolonged complex partial), the rest are impossible to see (she has had simple and complex partials that don't involved movements and were not completely controlled by meds, plus myoclonic and atypical absence that were completely controlled by meds). When you interact with staff, stay super calm as some people freak out easily and you want the best environment for your child. Whenever the school calls me (various freak outs), I first ask if she's breathing and if she's talking (always is so nothing rises to their level of freaking out and how they have asked me if they should be calling 911).

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.