Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Between 15~20 intense deja vu episodes a day

Sat, 06/08/2019 - 09:06
You read that right. 2-3 days out of the month, usually some time shortly before or after my period, I have an onslaught of between 10 and 20 deja vu episodes in a single day. It never lasts more than 3 days and then I go an entire month with zero episodes. The episodes range from mild to extremely intense. Usually are accompanied with a sense of anxiety or fear, sometimes nausea, and I always get a hot flash. I remain completely aware and conscious, always. I have thought of going to a neurologist obviously but since the episodes happen in a huge cluster at a very specific time and then never again after, I feel like it will be EXCEPTIONALLY difficult to catch on any tessts. This has been going on for several years now. I am female, 27, always been perfectly normal and healthy till this began.

Comments

I've had seizures since I was

Submitted by birdman on Sat, 2019-06-08 - 10:13
I've had seizures since I was a child.  Whenever they sent me in for an EEG (the test that detects abnormal brainwave activity suggesting possible seizures) I didn't have any seizures.  I felt so foolish.  How could such a test be helpful?  Later I learned that even when not in seizures persons who are prone to having seizures often have abnormal spikes and discharges suggesting the patient is prone to seizures.  That is the value of the diagnostic EEG.  Go see a neurologist.  He or she will ask many questions about what you experience during the episodes, how long they last, how long you have had them, if they tend to come more after lost sleep, your period, drinking....  It isn't uncommon for females to experience mild seizure activity during their period.  With the information gathered from the visit with the doctor that person will probably be able to make some judgement on what's happening.  A CT or MRI may be done to rule out tumors or other possible causes.  The EEG does not need to capture any seizure to support a doctors diagnosis.  Then again if nothing is detected it may help doc to consider another possible cause.

Hi! I'm a female, 24, and for

Submitted by MarieX on Sun, 2019-06-16 - 04:27
Hi! I'm a female, 24, and for about 6 months I have been experiencing the same episodes as you're describing. I don't get more than 15 a day though but somewhere between 1 and 4 bad episodes (where I get a nostalgic feeling to an image or series of images that I have in my head or jamais vu, followed by nausea and a feeling that my heart is racing - these episodes last about 30 seconds and I will feel extremely unfocused for up to a few hours after the episode and I will always go to bed early on these days) and then between 0-5 very short deja vu's that I barely even notice. After a 'bad' episode I sometimes have a feeling that there's something I need to remember - then I almost remember and feel relieved but before I can understand what it was, it's gone again and it's quite frustrating. Like what you're experiencing, I only get these episodes 3-4 days during or by the end of my period and then nothing until my next period. Last month I got sick with a fever two times which both triggered these episodes - one of them was between by periods and the second times was during my period which made me wake up 5 times during 5-6 hours with 'bad' epispdes where I threw up every time (this usually doesn't happen).I went to see a neurologist and he said that it could be epileptic seizures but it sounded to him more like migraine auras (due to the fact that I only get the episodes during my period). To me this sounds strange as I don't get headaches after the episodes and when I look up migraine auras I can't really relate to the symptoms. It would be nice though if that's all there is to it :)So far I have had a CT scan and MRI but they both came back normal. I'm waiting to get the results back from my EEG (he said that even if you don't have a seizure while you're being tested, you can sometimes still get a diagnosis - especially if you have seizures frequently).I know that there's something called catamenial epilepsy that you might want to look up - my neurologist hasn't mentioned any of this and I don't want to bring it up myself because I don't want him to think that I think that I know more about epilepsy than he does :)).I don't think that it would be a bad idea to see a neurologist in any case - at least to make sure that it isn't something you should worry about and I personally felt like I was being taken very seriously.

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.