If a person is having a major seizure is in a crowded plane miles above the earth, the rules for first aid are different.
Here are some tips:
- Clear space by folding up seat arms. Ask a flight attendant to find new seats for the other passengers in the row.
- Lie the person down across the seats with the head and body turned on one side. Make sure that the airway is clear and breathing is not obstructed.
- Arrange pillows or blankets to prevent the person's head from hitting unpadded areas.
- When the seizure stops, help the person into a resting position in a single reclining seat.
- If the seizure continues for more than about 5 minutes or is immediately followed by another one, tell the flight attendant that the person may be experiencing a medical emergency and may need emergency care.