Psychologists can offer much-needed support to people with epilepsy by:
- Helping them understand and cope with epilepsy as a neurological disorder and as a condition often associated with real or perceived stigma
- Treating people with nonepilepsy seizures with behavioral strategies.
- Guiding patients and their families in learning to live more positively with epilepsy
- Helping to treat patients' mood disorders and problems with self-esteem and independence
- Giving patients an outlet in which to discuss the stresses and influences of epilepsy, its treatment, and its consequences