• A person who suspects a problem should go to a primary care doctor (pediatrician, internist, or family physician) first for evaluation. The primary care doctor may run some tests.
  • If the doctor suspects seizures, the person probably will be referred to a neurologist, a doctor with special training in disorders of the brain, including epilepsy.
  • Some neurologists have specific training in epilepsy and spend most of their time treating people with this disorder; they are called epileptologists. For routine treatment of epilepsy, it is usually not necessary to see an epileptologist. A consultation may be needed in certain circumstances, such as counseling about pregnancy and childbirth and when seizures are not controlled. 
  • A person who has a seizure may be taken by ambulance to the Emergency Room. There they are seen by an emergency physician, or possibly a neurologist, and will be referred to a neurologist for follow-up.


Authored by: Carl W. Bazil, MD, PhD | Joseph I Sirven, MD
Reviewed by: Joseph I. Sirven, MD | Patricia O. Shafer, RN, MN on 8/2013