Anything that could be affected by strong magnetic fields could be damaged by the VNS magnet if it is kept too close to it. Keep the VNS magnet at least 10 inches from these items, for example, bank cards, credit cards, watches, computer discs or hard drives, televisions, or other items that may be affected by magnets.
A few safety tips
- Keep your magnet in a different pocket or on your belt buckle, away from your wallet.
- Create a metal lining for your wallet.
- If you use a computer frequently, don’t wear the magnet on your wrist – it may get too close to the computer. Wear it on your belt buckle or put it on the floor when you are working at the computer.
- Don’t put magnets on top of a television, stereo, or other electronic device.
- Don’t enter rooms or places that have strong electronic or magnetic fields or that have warnings for people with pacemakers or other implanted devices.
- Ask your doctor or nurse to write a letter to use while traveling that explains the VNS device and magnets. Wands used during security checks could affect the VNS device or the magnet could trigger a security alarm.
- Refer to the VNS Therapy Patient Manual and talk to your doctor for details about safety concerns with VNS Therapy and magnet use.
For more information: