While some people may be able to give it to themselves, it is easiest to have someone else do it. Usually a parent, caregiver, or designated adult will give this to a child.
Anyone who will be giving Diastat should be taught how to use it properly by a doctor or nurse. The following steps outline how to give Diastat® AcuDial™. Make sure to review these instructions with the prescribing health care professional and follow the package insert guidelines that come in the Diastat package.
- Turn the person on their side so they are facing you (or the person who will be giving it).
- Get the medicine out of the package and check the dose of the medicine with the doctor’s order.
- Remove the cap from the syringe and make sure that the Seal Pin is removed with the cap.
- Put lubricating jelly on the tip of the syringe.
- Fix the person’s clothes and bend the upper leg forward so the rectum can be seen.
- Spread the cheeks of the buttocks and gently insert the tip of the syringe into the rectum.
- Push the plunger on the syringe in and slowly count to 3. Count to 3 again before removing the syringe.
- Then squeeze the buttocks together and count to 3 to prevent leaking of the medicine.
- Fix the person’s clothes back to normal.
- Follow the doctor’s recommendations for observing the person afterwards.