Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Starting 6th grade, low energy and not eating - 504

Mon, 08/13/2007 - 12:53
Please anyone who has gone through this please help. School starts next week and even though we started a 504 at the end of last school year, I need to write a new one... Molly's adjustment to the Depakote seems to be helping with the seizures, but we are seeing other effects. Her energy level is low. I don't think she will be able to do PE everyday. I don't even know if she will be able to stay at school all day. How do I write that in her 504? She doesn't eat unless we are sitting with her - pestering her to take another bite. How can I include this in her 504? The heat really wears her down. How do I put that in the 504? - We live in CA! Any other "504" help would be wonderful...I had to learn about this all by myself with no help from the school / district, so I would appreciate anything! Thanks!

Comments

Re: Starting 6th grade, low energy and not eating - 504

Submitted by mjcolenc on Mon, 2007-08-13 - 15:50
Who is there when the 504 plan gets written up? My son is starting 7th grade and he already has a 504 plan in place because he has ADHD and Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) When we have meetings for a 504 , it had always been myself and or my husband, along with my son's teachers, special ed teacher or head, and vice principal. This last year we had someone else involved. He was an advocate. We were lucky as in he didn't charge us a penny. He is a friend of my nephew's wife. My son's 504 plan includes, modified assignments and extended time on classroom assignments and test. Testing accommodations include in book, separate setting, and extended time up to 1 and a half times the amount of test time specified for reading and math. It is also known that he has to wear a hat in school because of his Trichotillomania by order of my sons doctor. I make the teachers aware that if my son gets a headache he has to take Tylenol immediately or he will get sick to his stomach, and believe me, they don't want that. An elementary school teacher made the mistake of not listening to us and found out the hard way what would happen. I am now wondering myself what will be happening seeing as how my son was just diagnosed with Epilepsy, partial seizures, and is now taking a med for it. My son starts school on Thursday, and this week is when my son's meds it full strength, and were told if there were going to be any side affects, it would happen during the third week of taking them. That's this week.

Re: Re: Starting 6th grade, low energy and not eating - 504

Submitted by NoEsFacil on Wed, 2007-08-15 - 20:26
Thank you for your reply. I am so happy you were able to use an advocate for your meeting(s). I felt so alone and overwhelmed by the whole thing and I wish I had someone with me who knew what the heck to say. Thank you for letting me know what types of things you have in your son's 504. Every little bit of information is useful to me. Thanks again and best wishes for you, your son and family. d I'm Molly's Mom and Proud of It!

Re: Starting 6th grade, low energy and not eating - 504

Submitted by littlebug on Tue, 2007-08-14 - 16:26
I also live in Ca so the heat issue I understand. My daughter is still in elementary so it is written in her 504 that when it gets 80+ they have to put a "Be Kool " patch on her.She puts these on under her arm so no one sees them. You might have to put in her 504 that she be aloud to eat in doors. I have another daughter in 8th grade that because of her allergies to grass is on a 504 for PE. At her school the only other option was the flag team so that was her PE.That was put on a 504.Now she likes it so much she stays on flag team. As far as eating goes that is a hard one. Is there a friend of hers that you know well? Maybe you can get one of her friends to help encourage her to eat.If not you might have to have the school help.Even if you could get her to eat yogurt or something until she gets home would help. Maybe you could add to her 504 that every couple of hours she has to go to the nurses office and eat something small.

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.