The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Thu, 04/19/2007 - 12:06
I finally got my daughters 504 written.I had to go to the school district to get it done.When we sat down to do it I felt very verbally attacked.Her school always seemed to be understanding until they were forced to do something.How can they blame her learning disabilty on me?now her 504 is missing some of the things that needed to be put in there.Is it better to change schools or continue to fight?I wonder if private school would be better.

Comments

Re: 504

Submitted by carter on Thu, 2007-04-19 - 15:07
That is terrible they treat your and your daughter that way. I dont know what you should do. I know alot of help I am. In one way I would tell you to fight but than it would be nice if you could find a school that would support you and your daughter. Best of luck.

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 2007-04-19 - 15:30
Have you thought of gettting an educational advocate? They can do wonders helping people navigate the 504/IEP systems. Another help would be a neuropsychologist or social worker, preferably one who is familiar with epilepsy. If learning issues are part of the picture, getting reports from the neuropsychologist would be helpful in looking at her needs for accommodations. If safety issues or managing seizures in school is the part that needs help, see if there is a nurse at a local epilepsy center who can help.

Good luck and don't give up!

Good luck and don't give up!

Submitted by Kim F. on Fri, 2007-04-20 - 10:02
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your struggle with the school. I have had the same issue with my daughter when we moved. The new school took her off her IEP almost immediately after school started. Unfortunately, what I have learned is that some kids are not eligible for funding - meaning that the school would have to provide the service without additional funding from the district. I think this is why they are so negative about these things. Having said that, it is our childs right (and our right) to have what he/she needs to be successful at school - any school - but especially public schools - that's part of why we pay taxes every year. I agree that you should get an outside education advocate - someone who knows all of the ins and outs of the school system. Private schools require a lot of research to determine if they have the funding and resources available. I wish you the best of luck.

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.