Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Wada Test on Tuesday May30, 2006

Mon, 05/29/2006 - 19:08
Hello to all, My name is Cheryl and I am from Oklahoma. I have had seizures since I was about 18 months old. I am 50 now!! My seizures are classified as complex partial. I ususlly have an aura before a seizure which really helps a lot. This lets me put anything down or leave a room if needed. Last Sept. I went into the hospital and was hooked up to an EEG until I had seizures. They also did Brain Scans and later an MRI. The wada test I have done tomorrow and a psyc evaluation that is to be done in two weeks. If I pass these tests I will be a candidate for brain surgery. From what I have been told, which I found very interesting! They will not even cut any of my hair!! Just blew me away. I will look pretty burised for the first few weeks and will be able to do anything I could do befor the surgery in just six weeks. I am wanting to hear from anyone who has had this surgery and what they have experienced. I will be waiting for your replys. Cool or Crazy ? Cheryl

Comments

Re: Wada Test on Tuesday May30, 2006

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2006-05-30 - 10:33
Hope your Wada test is going well.. Good luck on all the tests - we'll be thinking of you! Epi_help

Hi Cheryl, Like you I'm not

Submitted by solis on Tue, 2006-05-30 - 15:43
Hi Cheryl, Like you I'm not 20 anymore (I'm 52) and have had simple and complex partial epilepsy since I was three. We've both 'coped' about the same # of years and with meds that no longer exist (I was once on a med called Celontin that's no longer used). I had surgery on my left temporal lobe on Jan 12th of this year..almost 5 months ago. However, there are immediate (and longer) 'after surgery effects' while the brain slowly heals (which can take up to two years). After surgery I was always tired. Typically, after an 8 hour night's sleep..I'd be awake for only a couple of hours then I'd feel exhausted again (like I hadn't slept at all) That lasted for about a month. It was also difficult & painful to open my mouth very wide as the surgery had damaged a jaw muscle. No worries..the muscle repairs itself and that passed. The most exasperating thing is that I now have a terrible memory. (Sure some of my memory was affected by my epilepsy, but that is mostly history related-- like names of old TV show, albums, former friends I hadn't seen in years, ... but my active memory has NEVER had any problems whatsoever.) Now my active memory is temporarily affected and that is driving me insane. Sometimes I don't even realize the error and that is awful. For example... two days ago we had just parked in a parking lot; and, after looking at the vehicles nearby, I made the statement that I preferred cars with their side 'lights' painted. I had mistakenly applied the word 'lights' to the side mirrors = a language mistake I would never have made!! My brain is healing so things aren't back to normal... Another example.. E-mailed my epileptogist the other day and I wrote 'she' had had suggested I get in tough with 'her'. My neuro suggests I write my neuro???? (Make any sense?) Thankfully, I reread that note I'd sent, saw the embarassingly stupid error and quickly sent a new note to my epileptologist who is also a friend. If you had epilepsy since such a young age, chances are good you will pass the Wada (= what I was told). The rationale for that logic is that as the brain is continually developing after we are born, & if one side is having difficulty the other commonly takes over. Since my surgery I have had no seizures. But; after all these years of coping & getting excited thinking meds are working ,only to get disappointed,I'm not celebrating until at least 6 months have passed. However; as the cause of my epilepsy was completely removed, a benign, slowly-growing tumor that existed since my birth, the neurosurgeon has said he doesn't expect I'll have seizures again. That's a positive..and very nice of him.. but I still prefer to wait to celebrate. I also want to wish you good luck on the tests & welcome to this community. ~sol

Re: Wada Test on Tuesday May30, 2006

Submitted by mommy2kyra on Thu, 2006-06-01 - 21:22
Hi Cheryl, My seizures started after I got hit by a car, around age 12. The seizures weren't recognized until I was days away from 26, after a grand mal. That's when my meds began, and I didn't have luck controlling the sz's. At 35, I saw an epileptologist who decided to see if I was a candidate for surgery. Many tests later, I had part of the left temporal lobe removed (in March of this year), so it hasn't been very long! Like Solis, I've had a few struggles after the surgery. My headaches were absolutely horrible for a month...NOTHING helped me control that pain. I was told that nothing working isn't uncommon, but most people do get relief w/ meds. Thankfully, those headaches are totally gone. That jaw pain has eased somewhat recently. It was very strong for over a month, and is slowly easing. I still get hit by an intense stabbing when I yawn occasionally, but it's getting better. For a while, I was very emotional. Intense in the beginning, and it has waned recently. I did begin seeing a therapist to help me work through my feelings. Regarding memory, I'm up in the air. My memory isn't the greatest. It wasn't very good before my surgery, of course. The hippocampus in both my LTL and RTL was only in the 10th percentile, I guess because my seizures were totally uncontrolled for so long. But, I have noticed that I do the same thing Solis mentioned (using a different word). I've had that happen several times since the surgery, and never had that happen before. I don't even notice that I'm not saying the right word. So, hearing that I said the wrong word and didn't realize it is very frustrating for me! I have been seizure-free since the surgery, which is very encouraging! Like Solis, I am still pretty hesitant to start celebrating already...but I am very hopeful! I wish you the best of luck, take care!! Heather :)

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.