looking for an epitologist

i am 43 years (young) i have had epilepsy my whole life. As i look more and more on this site i hear about many people who have had more luck with an epitologist than their neurologist. It alwayys seems that
the neurologist can only help you by giving more and more meds.
while epitologists can do a lot more. I live in bristol R.I. and am looking
for a epitologist nearby does anybody know of one nearby around providence or closer or how i can go about finding one? - JamieCrowell


Re: looking for an epitologist

Even though I am a 40 year old woman, I thought I would give you some feedback. I saw dozens of Neurologists before being referred to an Epileptologist- Dr. Edward B. Bromfield. He is out of Brigham & womens' hospital. He was the only neurological doctor I have ever seen that read my history, asked probing questions about me (he asked my husband too)- as at one point I was having up to 20 CP complex partial seizures/day.  His whole team of Neurologists have been good to me.

I ended up having to have the surgery, because unfortunately in my case I had a cortical dysplasia and they had to remove some of my brain tissue.

I hope you are lucky enough to get Dr. Bromfield as your Epileptologist. Also, I had Dr. Peter Black(neurosurgeon). They are both very nice & seem to care about their patients.

'Good luck to you - I hope you don't have any more seizures.




Re: looking for an epitologist

the first thing you look for is a university hospital, then go to their epilepsy clinic. Find out who the proper doctors are within that clinic, and have your regular doctor give you a referral to the doc you located in the university, after you get to see the university doctor things will then start falling into place.
good luck in your persuits. I know most of the state capitals have these type of hospitals and doctors.

Re: Re: looking for an epitologist

Anthony Caputo
What is an epitologist?

Re: Re: Re: looking for an epitologist

It is a neurologist who specializes only in epilepsy.

Re: Re: Re: looking for an epitologist

Anthony, Regarding to your question of what is an epitologist? An epitologist is a person who specializes in epilepsy alone rather than a neurologist who specializes in the brain as a whole. an epitologist may know more about the problems you may be experiencing from epilepsy and may be able to help more because he deals only with epilepsy while a neurologist may deal with all problems the brain may have even if they are not seizure related. - from Jamie Crowell

Re: looking for an epitologist

You're in R.I. that is pretty close to Boston, MA. Here is the feedback I got for my search here in MA:

Seeking Epileptologist- Boston, MA
My neurologist specializes in Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimers, and Dementia. She would be happy to refer to a neurolgist who specializes in Epilepsy me if she has a name. Anyone know of a good Epileptologist treating adults in the Boston area?
By wldhrt13 at 10/16/2006 - 6:02pm | Living With Epilepsy - Adult

Re: Seeking Epileptologist- Boston, MA
You are right in wanting to see an Epileptologist. I was in Boston last year and got some treatment and testing done at Beth Israel / Deaconess Medical Center. Everything was top notch. They have a comprehensive Epilepsy center and some very good doctors. I saw Dr. Kaarkuzhali Babu Krishnamurthy on several occassions. She was helpful, very nice, understood my condition and experiences well, and seemed to really know her stuff. She made it possible for me to get some extended Video/EEGs and Neuropsychological testing. She was very willing to work with me about medication. The one thing is that she seemed a bit too busy to give me the personal attention that I would have liked. However, you cannot go wrong by making an appointment with her, and I cannot recommened Beth Israel highly enough.
By Matthew at Fri, 10/20/2006 - 4:30pm

Re: Seeking Epileptologist- Boston, MA
Hi wldhrt13,
To find an epileptologist in your area, go to www.epilepsy.com & look at the top of the page, third from the left.
I'm in Canada, and despite this being an American site, my epileptologist is listed.
Hope that helps,
By solis at Fri, 10/20/2006 - 6:21pm

Re: Seeking Epileptologist- Boston, MA
I saw Dr. Andrew Cole at Massachusetts General Hospital and I was very impressed with him. He is an excellent doctor and one of the top in his field. His phone number is 617-726-3311. Here is a link about him: http://www.massgeneral.org/neurology/epilepsy/Teaching/fellow.html
By gretat at Sun, 10/22/2006 - 10:32am

Re: Seeking Epileptologist- Boston, MA
Hi, OK not to perplex you more, but I saw Dr. Bromfield at Brigham and Women's. I think the three of us have covered the Boston Area. There are many doctors in the neurology department and they are all top notch. I was on disability for six months because I was having seizures all the time. Now, I have been seizure free for six months.
By kev5920 at Wed, 10/25/2006 - 2:25pm

Re: Re: looking for an epitologist


Has anybody tried these specialists and what do they think? My boyfriend I have a long trip to do (accross the water...) so we need to be sure that he will be seen the best one. Don't want to offend anybody but since we will be making a huge trip over and need to research this very good and proper. Any comments appreciated. Thanks