Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Using Lamictal @150mg but still feel unable to focus or concentrate

Sun, 09/17/2017 - 17:19
Background: I had started using Klonopin for 'anxiety' about 8 years ago, taking .25 mg doses about once per week to help with 'weird head feelings'. I was diagnosed with Right Temporal Lobe epilepsy at the beginning of this year, and started on a rx of 150mg of Lamictal (titrated from 50 to 150) prescribed by my neurologist. I've still needed to take the klonopin to help 'even out' my brain functions, though. Since the klonopin can also cause withdrawal seizures, I've decided to get off of it. Something that I did about two weeks ago. Question: The momentary blackouts I was experiencing prior to Lamictal have stopped. But: My brain still feels like it's not working correctly. I have issues with racing thoughts, inability to focus, and memory recall issues. The biggest concern is that I'm easily distracted... which is a problem in my profession (programmer). I've read that a lot of people taking Lamictal experience a level of calmness and focus. The neurologist expressed surprise at my symptoms, but seemed unwilling to change my meds. He suggested asking my PCP for an anxiety medication that I could take daily. Contrasting with this is my brain behavior when taking the Klonopin... which seemed to calm things down significantly. It reminds me of how some people with ADHD describe taking Adderall. There's an increase in focus. My question is: How do you know when your epilepsy rx is working? How long does it typically take to see improvements?

Comments

150mg/day is a very low dose

Submitted by Amy Jo on Mon, 2017-09-18 - 01:26
150mg/day is a very low dose for an adult unless you meant to say 150mg twice a day (aka BID). My 10yo takes more than 200mg/day and would be on a higher dose if she didn't have bad side effects kick in, daily dose is divided into three to keep those side effects from being unworkable as it is. so maybe that low dose is sufficient, some people don't need the common dosing amounts but you might kinda be like our child and need more but not tolerate it. figuring anything out about your situation is part detective story, part guinea pig. trying the extended release may help if you notice the worst impacts about the time the meds have been absorbed (was ~90 min after taking meds for our child). for our child we found lamotrigine controls seizures that showed up later, so we will stick with it until we try getting off meds. before we knew that, we were trying to get off it by finding another drug that might replace it.http://reference.medscape.com/drug/lamictal-lamotrigine-343012

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.