Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Lamotrigine 200mg tablets

Mon, 04/10/2017 - 00:05
So I was just wondering if anyone could answer my question. I almost took 3400 mg of my lamotrigine by accident. Luckily I caught myself before I swallowed it but it got me thinking 'what would happen if I wouldn't have caught myself?'. I've tried to look it up online but I haven't been able to find anything. I usually only take 200mg twice a day. This isn't the first time though that I did something like this but the previous mistakes were not that drastic. I don't know if anyone can really answer my question but if anyone may have a little insight to what may have happened that would be great.

Comments

Well that amount would have

Submitted by just_joe on Mon, 2017-04-10 - 11:32
Well that amount would have been 8 times your regular dosage. That amount would not be good and you would need to go to the ER in order for them to pump it out. Over dosage with seizures can do many things. One is cause seizures and if in a seizure the ER would try to stop it by giving you meds.Pharmacies have things that you can put your meds in. I use one. In the morning I get the days supply I put the night meds in one that can be put on a key ring. U take the others. So look at something like that.

I myself take 900mg a day

Submitted by Tejina on Mon, 2017-04-10 - 14:02
I myself take 900mg a day (450mg 2x day) and know that when taken on an empty stomach/too close together, it causes nystagmus which is a potential overdose indicator. I agree with just_joe, a pill container may be a good choice depending on when you take it (I take mine with breakfast and supper so I don't really need to worry).Hope that helps!

I personally took 1600mg

Submitted by Jeter2018 on Mon, 2017-04-10 - 14:23
I personally took 1600mg myself by accidentally doubling up a night dose. It put me in the ER.  Dizzy, couldn't walk and vomiting.  It also gave me double vision for a period of time.  It was a bad experience. 

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.