The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

dogmom423

Mon, 10/13/2014 - 13:37

Hi, I've been following posts to the forum for a few years and have gotten some helpful information.  Until recently, I've not had a reason to ask a question.  However, that recently changed.  I have been having absence seizures since undergoing brain surgery in 1998.  I was initially on Depakote, but gained 30 lbs in about four months and my hair was falling out.  I was so groggy all the time that I couldn't function.  I was switched to Topamax and soon forgot how to drive a car, play the piano and many other day-to-day things.  I then tried another drug which I can't remember off the top of my head and it caused me to have heart palpitations.  So I was switched to Depakote ER.  I took that for about three years, even though it made me feel like I was functioning under water all day.  Then we moved to another state and I changed neuros.  He suggested Keppra, then Keppra XR.  I have taken that since 2004.  We are now weaning me off of the Keppra in the hopes that I won't need any more seizure meds (I'm sooo hoping that that is the case!).  My question is regarding side effects from stopping Keppra.  I've read other posts and recognized many of the symptoms as those I am currently experiencing, i.e. headache, dizziness, moodiness (to put it mildly), fatigue and just feeling "wierd".  I haven't read where anyone has stated how long I can expect these symptoms to last.  As much as I want to get off the meds, I'd like to also think that at some point I will feel "normal" again.  I went from 1000mg of ER daily to 500 twice a day for two weeks, then 250mg twice a day, then 250mg once a day.  I stopped completely three days ago.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Comments

I have been in drug studies

Submitted by just_joe on Wed, 2014-10-15 - 09:46
I have been in drug studies for new medications for epilepsy. I was having a few more seizures then I had been having after being on the test med. I started having them about 1 1/2 months after stopping the medication. Doc stated it can take 3-6 weeks the have all the medicine to leave the body.So it should be all out of your system in a few months. If it were me I would be calling my neuro and discussing this issue with him so I would know how long the drugs would be in my body since all medicines have different spans in the body. I hope this helps and you get the assistance you need and stay seizure free

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.