Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Anyone on 100MG of Phenytoin per day?

Fri, 12/22/2006 - 17:02
I was wondering if anyone is taking one pill (100MG) of Phenytoin per day? I am a 45 year old female who is new to having seizures. Completely out of the blue I had my first seizure while sleeping. My physician started me off on 300MG of Phenytoin once a day just before I went to bed to prevent the nocturnal seizures. The side effects of the drug were extremely harsh, so I convinced him to let me reduce the dosage to only two pills (200MG) of Phenytoin prior to bedtime. I did this for six months without having another nocturnal seizure. Since things were going good, I then asked my physician to reduce the dosage again down to only one pill (100MG). I took one pill for approximately 2-1/2 months without a seizure and then stopped taking pills altogether. Ten days later I had another nocturnal seizure and now I’m back on one pill. Has anyone out there been seizure free with only using a dosage of 100MG?

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.