The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 10:36
Overwhelmed. I guess you can say I am guilty of not seeing the reality because she was still in elementary school and am now faced with no choice; but ready now. I finally gathered a history of everything that has occurred in the past six years and need guidance on how to be the best advocate for my 10 year old. She has Multifocal Epilepsy, Simple Partial Seizures ( from both left and right), Rolandic Seizures and has had Generalized Seizures in the past. Most recently, we fear she is having Absence Seizures or just memory/focus problems. I am scheduling a meeting with her school to revise a 504 plan that was implemented last year. She is now in 5th grade and has been struggling with memory, focus, possible absence seizures, and constant headaches. There has to be a better way for her and I feel I need to educate myself better and her school on how to provide a better place for her so that she can succeed. It can't be that each time she has any of the above mentioned symptoms, she is sent to the nurse and a call is placed to me. She wants to be a part of a daily normal schedule at school. I understand it might be protocol for them to do this but I feel in my heart there has to be a better way? My last question is "Are they 504 advocates that would guide me on what to ask for or give suggestions? I don't want to miss something. Thanks very much.

Comments

Re: 504

Submitted by littlebug on Sat, 2010-10-30 - 00:45

I understand were you are coming from. I have a ten year old daughter that has had epilepsy since she was two. I had to learn how to advocate for my daughter. Start out by writting down each of her seizures and what is normal for each one. When to call you, when to call 911 and that as long as she is within her "norm" they don't need to call you. She should also be on a IEP. This year I took a pillow and blanket to school incase she needs to go lay down for awhile but not necessarly come home. There were times when I would go get her and an hour later she was ready to go back to school. Now she stays there. Email me and I will give you more advice on how to advocate for your daughter. morgana197531@yahoo.com

I understand were you are coming from. I have a ten year old daughter that has had epilepsy since she was two. I had to learn how to advocate for my daughter. Start out by writting down each of her seizures and what is normal for each one. When to call you, when to call 911 and that as long as she is within her "norm" they don't need to call you. She should also be on a IEP. This year I took a pillow and blanket to school incase she needs to go lay down for awhile but not necessarly come home. There were times when I would go get her and an hour later she was ready to go back to school. Now she stays there. Email me and I will give you more advice on how to advocate for your daughter. morgana197531@yahoo.com

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.