Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

Keppra 3,000mg daily, help!

Mon, 06/26/2017 - 00:51
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with JME or Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. I had my first seizure at 15. I am now 30. I have been on Dilantin which depleted me of energy and turned me into a zombie. Depakote, which made me gain 30lbs. topamax, which made me lose all the weight, but I suffered from severe speaking problems, had 3 kidney stones, headaches and severe depression. I never wanted to go out. After that I was on lamictal which was tolerable, but I had such bad problems with my short term memory and muscles that I couldn't continue. I am now on 3,000 mgs daily of keppra. I take the generic version. Have been on it for about 3 years now. I constantly have headaches, irritability and anger issues which I've never had before. I am paranoid about everything, very emotional and dealing with sweating issues. I have had pneumonia 3 times in the past 3 years that lasted for months and antibiotics never seemed to work. I have a chronic phlegmy cough that won't go away. My muscle pain is so intense at times that I can't even walk. My dental work is never ending and I just feel like these meds control the problem, but give you 500 more! I take vitamin b-6 and magnesium, but I feel like I've lost the happy girl I used to be. I am very depressed and starting to fall back into wanting to be alone all the time. Does anyone have any input about what to take along with keppra to increase energy level and maybe help with depression?

Comments

May I suggest talking to

Submitted by whatitisepilepsy on Fri, 2017-07-21 - 05:22
 May I suggest talking to your doctor about a med called Lamotrging. I'm also taking VIMPACT with that, and I have the most control I've ever had. We are trying to wing off the vimpact. Something else that might work for you, I went a whole year without arua or seizures taking a martial arts class. It was not so much what I learned, the over 100 jumping jack, stretching, working my body at least 5 days a week.  You have heard it before," use it or lose it". Exercise make sense. As soon as I stopped everything came back with in a week. Good luck, life with out seizures can be amazing, always try new things don't let it win. 

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.