Community Forum Archive

The Epilepsy Community Forums are closed, and the information is archived. The content in this section may not be current or apply to all situations. In addition, forum questions and responses include information and content that has been generated by epilepsy community members. This content is not moderated. The information on these pages should not be substituted for medical advice from a healthcare provider. Experiences with epilepsy can vary greatly on an individual basis. Please contact your doctor or medical team if you have any questions about your situation. For more information, learn about epilepsy or visit our resources section.

My chronic seizures stopped in 1997

Fri, 04/20/2007 - 11:50
My story of being diagnosed with Epilepsy and all of the testing and drugs that I was on for 9 years is a long one. My neurologist said I would be on Tegratol for the rest of my life. And even while I was on it, I occasionally would get minor seizures. When I tell people what I believe was the cause, they always are skeptical. My health problems started about 6 years before my first seizure. I had severe stomach aches that were diagnosed as eosinophil gastroenteritis. When I had the elevated eosinophil cell count (.8 or above) I would have severe stomach problems. Steroids brought it under control. I lived with the condition for years. Then I started having mild seizures and would get disoriented. I did not know for about a year what was happening until I woke up in the middle of the night being loaded into an ambulance - I had a grand mal seizure and my wife called 911. For years I tried changing things in my diet and behavior. I focused on removing all chemicals from my diet, including things like not using plastic wrap over food being heated in a microwave oven. I stopped getting chemicals on my skin like cleaning products. And lastly, I saw that head and shoulders shampoo is a concoction of chemicals so I stopped using that. The bouts with gastroenteritis only happened about once every 2 or 3 months so it took about 6 to 9 months before I started thinking I might have things under control. The seizures were already pretty much under control from the tegratol and I never thought the two were related. I stopped having symptoms for both disorders for about 18 months and happened to move to San Diego in 1996. I got a neurologist in SD and went through all the testing again. He was an older doctor and told me that in all his years of practice, he has only taken a few patients off of medication. In 1997 I gradually went off the tegratol and have never had any symptoms since. Three years ago, I stupidly used the head and shoulders shampoo because it was in the shower and I was out of shampoo. Two days later, I had severe gastro event that lasted several days. I know for sure that the head and shoulders causes my eosinophil gastroenteritis problem. I can't be sure it caused my seizure disorder. But I'm not going to test it find out. I know that seizures are caused by a lot of things. My neurologist went down the list with me. He also said there is a lot that is unknown. I'm sure that there are very few people that my story will help. But I thought I would share it anyway. Larry Greenstein

Stay up to date with the latest epilepsy news, stories from the community, and more.