Letter of Intent Due: July 21, 2017 by 11:59 PM Eastern Time
If LOI is accepted, Proposal is Due: September 25, 2017 by 11:59 PM Eastern Time
We welcome a broad span of proposals from anywhere in the world
All proposals for both the New Therapy-Commercialization Grants and the Epilepsy Innovation Seal of Excellence award will be evaluated by our Business and Scientific Advisory Boards based on specific criteria:
Business Advisory Board criteria:
- Intellectual Property Strategy & Status; Freedom To Operate
- Can this Get to Patients: Investment Potential & Likelihood of Ongoing Funding Support
- Probability of Success / Time Factor
- Fit with Program Mission / Patient Impact
- Overall Impression
Scientific Advisory Board criteria:
- Quality of Science
- Probability of Successful Completion of Milestones / Outlined Program
- Timeframe of Success
- Fit with Program Mission / Impact on Patients
- Overall Impression
Contact Brandy Fureman with scientific questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOI Content and Layout for New Proposals
- Title of proposed project (maximum 75 characters)
- Principal Investigator (name, title, affiliation, address, telephone, email address)
- Co-Investigators (names, titles, affiliations) (only key co-PIs)
- Anticipated total budget. Budget for NTCG applications should not exceed $350,000 for a two-year period. Justify, including funding from other sources.
- Brief summary of project goals and plans/approaches (not to exceed ½ page)
- Brief description of intellectual property position and potential for commercialization (one paragraph)
- Brief description of what is unique about the project, and how it compares to any competitor (2 sentences)
LOI Submission for Revised Proposals (resubmissions)
Items 5-7. Briefly explain changes from previous application that addresses key critiques.
Must not exceed 2 pages, inclusive of all information listed above (#5, #6, #7)
Minimum 10 point font
Convert LOI document to a PDF and then upload in proposalCENTRAL either for the grant or for the award.
Submit the completed LOI through proposalCENTRAL: https://proposalcentral.altum.com. Once there, click 'Applicants: Click Here to Login, Register to Apply' and setup an account if you do not have one. Click on 'Validate' to make sure all required fields have been filled in. Click on 'Submit' link to submit LOI in proposalCENTRAL.
LOI Acceptance Notification
LOIs will be reviewed within approximately two weeks after the LOI submission deadline, at which time Principal Investigators / Contact People will be notified if the proposal is or is not considered suitable for a full review. LOIs considered suitable must be submitted as full proposals by September 25, 2017 (see grant instructions).
Do not exceed the specified number of pages for each section, inclusive of all information
Cover – Page 1
- Title of proposed project (maximum 1 line)
- Institutional approvals for work involving humans or animals (project number and date of approval)
- Principal Investigator (name, titles, affiliation, address, telephone, email address)
- Key Co-Investigators (names, titles, affiliations)
- Contact person if other than Principal Investigator (name, address, telephone, email address)
- Institutional officers (financial officer and grant administrators) responsible for the proposal and award
Summary Statement – Page 2 (maximum 1 page)
- What is unique and significant from a therapeutic perspective about the project, how will it lead to new treatments for epilepsy, and how it compares to any competitor
- What proof of principle or indication of efficacy and safety currently exist
- A project summary written in lay language for consumers (approximately 50 words)
Commercialization Potential – Page 3 (maximum 1 page)
- Description of intellectual property position
- Potential pathway for commercialization, including potential (contacted) or actual commercial partners
- Timeline for work proposed; estimated time to reach patients
Proposal (maximum 6 pages, including references)
- Background describing this approach to treatment (suggested limit of ½ page; omit the unmet need)
- Procedures (most important section: emphasize what will be done during the first year). Include Go / No Go decision points and milestones, and specific milestones. (Note: grant funding will be based on achieving milestones)
- Sample size (as needed) and statistical analysis plan
- References (limit to a few abbreviated, essential references)
Bio Sketches & Other Support
- Bio for Principal Investigators
- Other Support: Title, role in grant, percent effort, amount of funding and years of current and pending support for each grant (including SBIR, STTR, RAID). Include all non-governmental funding (e.g. CURE, Epilepsy Foundation, American Epilepsy Society, other foundations) for work related to this proposal (past, present, pending) and how this impacts IP.
- Detailed budget and justifications for 1st year (and 2nd year, if needed). Budget for NTCG apps should not exceed $350,000 for a two-year period. Justify, including funding from other sources.
- Funds may only be used for direct costs. Funds may NOT be allocated for travel, administrative purposes, or equipment. Salary for pre/post-doctoral trainees should be justified based on full-time work on this proposal.
- Must describe milestones for payments
- Include letters from key collaborators indicating the extent of their participation (no bio sketches). Specifying their planned contributions (list only investigators who will actively participate in the program, not merely mentor, advisor, or extra name). They should be uploaded in the 'Upload Attachments' section of proposalCENTRAL.
- Investigators proposing a clinical trial should include the protocol in the supplementary materials. If another entity, such as a pharmaceutical company, is providing partial funding support or in-kind contribution to the study (such as study drug and/or placebo), please provide a letter of support detailing the agreed-upon funding or resources provided. For all other study types, supplementary materials are discouraged, but may be included as an Appendix, IF ESSENTIAL.
Note: Save and upload the Summary Statement, Commercialization Potential, Proposal, Bio Sketches and Collaborators Letters as PDF files in the 'Upload Attachments' section.
Revised Proposal Content (resubmissions)
Provide a response to the critiques received from the earlier submission (maximum 4 pages) (ask for extra space, if necessary).
Respond to questions, and provide additional information to support the resubmission.
List Go / No Go decision points and milestones.
Update the project summary written in lay language for consumers (approximately 50 words).
Update budget. (Note: Save and upload this resubmission as 'Resubmission Response' in a single PDF file in the 'Upload Attachments' section.)
Submit the completed proposal through: https://proposalcentral.altum.com either for the New Therapy-Commercialization Grants or for the Epilepsy Innovation Seal of Excellence award.
Click on 'Validate' to ensure all required fields have been completed and all required attachments have been uploaded.
Click on 'Submit'. You will receive an email confirmation for your proposal submission.
DEADLINE FOR WEB SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS IS 11:59 PM EASTERN TIME, SEPTEMBER 25, 2017
In order to guarantee review, applications MUST BE RECEIVED by the deadline date. NO additional information for an application will be accepted after the due date including supplemental data.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete, review, and submit their applications with sufficient time to allow for technical difficulties, varying time zones, human error, loss of power/internet, sickness, travel, etc. Applicants may review their submissions for accuracy until the application submission deadline. Extensions to the application submission deadline will not be granted, with the rare exception made for severe extenuating circumstances.